The primary role of the copywriter is to research and write compelling, creative and smart copy for inclusion in undergraduate (parents and students) and graduate higher education client communication materials including viewbooks, postcards, emails, personal microsites, infographics and other related materials. Additionally, limited business-to-business writing may be needed as required by the Marketing department. This position requires the ability to work quickly to produce copy and edit creative assets in both Microsoft Word as well as a proprietary content management environment. The successful candidate for this position must be able to effectively work as a member of a strategy team creating successful campaigns for our client schools.
Effective self-proofing skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects with demanding deadlines, producing high quality work, and projecting a positive attitude / commitment to acceptance of other ideas and concepts with their teammates is essential to the position.
As the copywriter, the ideal candidate should possess strong creative ability, organizational and communication skills as well as unflagging attention to detail. As part of a creative team, you will work closely with other staff members as we continue to meet and exceed customer expectations through the pieces we develop.
You may occasionally be asked to perform duties that are outside your normal workload, but not unrelated to the overall goal of providing excellent-quality written work.
- Write all copy to support marketing campaign efforts.
- Look for efficiencies to improve speed and accuracy for all campaigns.
- Comfortably manage your own list of projects as well as work for a freelance team as assigned through a project management system.
- Express confidence when requesting assistance or clarity on any particular assignment.
- Ensure that deadlines are met.
- Communicate effectively with graphics, marketing and account management teams, informing and updating them regularly to guarantee that both sales and client objectives are met.
- Use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions or approaches to campaign problems.
- Contribute to team meetings to discuss client strategy, campaign success, improvements that can be made and overall effectiveness of the works supplied.
- Creativity: You will most often need to research and create original work. Often times, we encourage our writers to lead the creative direction for a campaign using bold, fresh headlines, snappy copy, etc. Our clients are successful with the campaigns we develop for them.
- Determination: Some assignments can take several hours or more to finish, or the client/client success manager may turn it around for multiple revisions.
- Persuasion: The copywriter needs to know how to write persuasively and in some cases, defend their creative choices. Be prepared.
- Social Perceptiveness: Copywriters need to have their finger on the pulse of a youthful generation of non-readers, so that their copy is pithy, relevant and modern, and understand how people – including parents of undergrad students -- will respond to their writing.
- Writing Skills: Copywriters need to write well: with proper tone, feeling, sentence structure and emotion. However, sometimes getting all those good grammar skills into a quick, punchy 12-email campaign can be tricky.
- Thick skin: Some clients are more challenging than others … the ability of a copywriter to respond with “Let me try this again!” vs “I can’t – I give up!” is critical.
- Communicate regularly with freelance copywriting staff to assign projects, edit work, review strategy and provide useful feedback to ensure their continued success
- Organize files for safekeeping and easy retrieval.
- Maintain a clean and well-organized work area.
- Ensure all design work is approved through proper channels prior to creating finals or forwarding proofs to client, printing, or copying.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- Creative problem solving and resolution skills
- Experience working in (specifically writing) higher education marketing is a plus
- Demonstrated experience with MS Office Suite and web-based content management applications
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional skills related to handling multiple priorities in a high-volume, fast-paced, multi-product environment